The University of Notre Dame has been present in London since 1968 when the Law School opened a study abroad program. In 1981, after a move to Mayfair, additional programs were created by the colleges of Arts and Letters, Business, and Engineering. The steady expansion of these programs led to another move in July 1998 to Suffolk Street, on the northwest side of Trafalgar Square.
1-4 Suffolk Street
The first building on this site was built in 1823 to provide accommodation for the new United University Club (UUC), a private gentlemen's club for members of the universities of Oxford and Cambridge. Due to the increasing size of the club, the entire property was rebuilt on a larger scale in 1906, and expanded in 1924, under Edwardian architect Reginald Blomfield. Another smaller extension was added to the east side around 1939–1940.
After the World War II, the UUC membership began to decrease, and in 1971 it merged with the Oxford and Cambridge Club in Pall Mall. 1-4 Suffolk Street was taken over by Coutts & Co. private bank until 1980. The next occupant, the British School of Osteopathy, remained onsite for 17 years until Notre Dame acquired the building in 1997.
In 1997, the University of Notre Dame acquired the lease for 1-4 Suffolk Street, thanks to a generous donation from university Trustee Mr. Charles Kennedy Fischer. Subsequently, modern teaching facilities were installed whilst restoring the Edwardian grandeur. Many of the original features still remain, including mahogany doors, marble fireplaces, ceiling moldings, and the sweeping central staircase which earned the facility “Listed Building” status.
The building opened for use in July 1998, and was named Marian Kennedy Fischer Hall in February 1999 in memory of Mr. Fischer’s late mother. The formal dedication ceremony was led Fr. Malloy, President of the University, on February 6, 1999.
Fischer Hall has 10 classrooms that can accommodate various numbers, usually ranging from 15 to 80 people.
The London Global Gateway Library
, group study rooms, interview rooms, a small art studio, computers, printers, and scanners are available for student and faculty use.
Wireless Internet is accessible throughout the building.
There are 4 flats available for Notre Dame faculty visiting for a semester or academic year. View a flat profile.
Notre Dame staff, faculty, and graduate students are welcome to request a flat in Fischer Hall for short and longer-term stays in London. Flats will be allocated based on their availability and your requirements. Please fill in the flat booking form.
Notre Dame faculty working with the London programs are provided with a private office in Fischer Hall, equipped with a computer and telephone.
Other faculty members can use the shared faculty office for tutorials, one-to-one meetings, and office hours.
Teleconferencing facilities are available upon request.
Undergraduates can relax and mingle in the Junior Common Room (JCR). The JCR has plentiful seating, vending machines, and a pool table.
Graduates students have access to the Middle Common Room, complete with a TV, DVD player, books, and a coffee machine.
The Senior Common Room is for faculty and staff members. It is also used for smaller events and receptions.
Within Fischer Hall there is a landscaped inner courtyard, providing tranquility and fresh air. It is a popular place to sit and have lunch in the summer months.
There is a student kitchen in the basement of Fischer Hall, equipped with cooking and storage facilities (microwaves, fridges, kettles etc.)
Other facilities in Fischer Hall include locker rooms, shower rooms, and changing rooms.
There is a chapel for private prayer and organised services.
Fischer Hall is generally open to guests between 8:30 a.m. and 10:00 p.m, except on Fridays when the building closes at 5:00 p.m.
Please note that opening hours vary during the summer session, Christmas and Easter vacations, and some public holidays. Students are advised to check the intranet for the current and next month's student hours.
Anyone wishing to enter or stay in the building after 6:30 p.m. must register at reception and sign out upon leaving the building.
Information for Notre Dame Affiliates
Notre Dame faculty members visiting London are welcome to enquire about temporary office space in Fischer Hall. Please contact Alice Tyrell (email@example.com
) with dates and requirements. Office spaces are subject to availability. Alternatively, Notre Dame faculty members may drop in to use the Senior Common Room (SCR), which is equipped with tables, chairs, and sofas, as well as tea, coffee, and water machines. A Notre Dame ID card must be presented to security on arrival.
Those with a connection to Notre Dame who wish to look around the building may apply for a tour between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday by emailing Jennifer Siko (firstname.lastname@example.org
). Affiliations include (but are not limited to) directors, alumni, ND students from campus or other programs, prospective students and parents of students. Applications should include the preferred date and time, details of your affiliation with the University, and the reason for requesting a visit.
For more information about Fischer Hall, please contact Brian Klue (email@example.com
), Director of Facilities.
Notre Dame affiliates only:
for information about the London Internet Access Policy and setting up your laptop, tablet, or mobile devices in Fischer Hall, please go to the London I.T. Support