Tesco Charing Cross Express
– if you are shopping on a budget Tesco Express offers low-priced snacks, sandwiches, drinks, and basic groceries. It is located just off Trafalgar Square and is open 24 hours a day (shorter opening hours on Sundays).
Tesco Regent Street Metro
– Tesco Metro is still a small grocery store, but offers more variety and a greater range of produce than the Express stores. Situated on Regent Street, just off Piccadilly Circus, it is only a 5-10 minute walk from Fischer Hall and is open from 6:00 a.m. until midnight on weekdays (shorter opening hours at weekends).
The Co-operative Food, Strand
– The Co-op is another budget supermarket. It is a small store selling fresh, frozen, and tinned groceries, as well as snacks and drinks. It is located on the Strand, just off Trafalgar Square and is open 24 hours a day.
Sainsbury’s Westminster The Strand Local
– Sainsbury’s is a grocery store selling everyday essentials from food and drink to toiletries and cleaning products. It is situated on the Strand, just up the road from Charing Cross Station, and is open 24 hours a day on weekdays (shorter opening hours on Sundays).
Marks & Spencer Simply Food – Charing Cross Station
– Marks & Spencer is considered one of the best quality grocery stores. There is a small store inside Charing Cross Station with a good selection of everyday groceries and treats. It is open from 7:00 a.m. until midnight daily (shorter opening hours on Sundays).
Whole Foods Market, Piccadilly Circus
- Whole Foods Market is located just behind Piccadilly Circus on Glasshouse Street. It specializes in everyday groceries that are natural, pure, and organic, locally grown produce, health foods and produce for allergy sufferers (e.g. gluten free), and loose grains, pulses, rice, and pasta for bulk buying or small quantities. There is a cafe in store and freshly made food to take out. It is open from 7:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. on weekdays (shorter opening hours at weekends).
Grocery Stores near Conway Hall
Iceland Lower Marsh
– Iceland is a budget grocery store specializing in frozen produce, but it also stocks store cupboard groceries (tinned and jarred). Some Iceland stores have a small range of fresh fruit and vegetables. It is open from 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. on weekdays (shorter opening hours at weekends and on Mondays).
Sainsbury’s Local - Waterloo
– just like the Strand branch, this is a small convenience store selling everyday food and essentials. It is open until midnight 7 days a week, but is not at a 24-hour store.
Tesco Waterloo Road Express
- if you are shopping on a budget Tesco Express offers low-priced snacks, sandwiches, drinks, and basic groceries. This branch is open from early until late, but is not a 24 hour store.
Marks and Spencer Simply Food
- there is now a Marks and Spencer inside Waterloo Station which is open until midnight (shorter opening hours on Sundays).
– Greensmiths is an independent local grocery store. Although it is small, it contains a butcher, a bakery, and a greengrocer. It also specializes in coffee and wine. You can find produce from around the world in Greensmiths’ basement, and even the fresh fruit and vegetables are often exotic or unusual. This is an excellent store for quality food and treats, although the prices are higher than a regular grocery store. It is open from 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. on weekdays (shorter opening hours on Saturdays, and closed on Sundays).
Out of Town Supermarkets and Online Shopping
If you wish to shop at a large grocery store, you may have to travel out of the very centre of London. Many U.K. supermarket chains have superstores around the country and details are available online or on Google Maps. For bigger shopping trips, it may be worth considering online shopping. Many supermarkets including Waitrose, Ocado,Tesco, and Sainsbury's deliver groceries to your door at competitive prices. (Notre Dame students and visiting faculty should choose a delivery slot when they are available - the reception teams at the London Global Gateway residences cannot take delivery of groceries.)
Back to Top
Useful Shops and Amenities near Fischer Hall
– there are 2 post offices in walking distance from Fischer Hall. The main one is located just off Trafalgar Square
. A smaller one can be found at the back of Ryman Stationery on Lower Regent Street
. You can buy packing supplies (envelopes and boxes) and stamps, send letters and parcels abroad, and buy foreign currency at both branches.
- Maplin on the Strand stocks small electronics, and items such as adaptors and power strips.
There are several cell phone shops on the Strand. EE
are each individual service providers, while Carphone Warehouse
stock cell phones from all providers.
Useful Shops and Amenities near Conway Hall
Housewares Tool Shop
is situated on Lower Marsh Street and is a great place to buy utensils, food storage containers, and more.
Mail Boxes Etc.
on Lower Marsh Street is ideal for students needing to post parcels, print big documents, and send faxes etc.
Shopping for Fun near Fischer Hall and Conway Hall
is just round the corner from Fischer Hall, or a 15-minute walk from Conway Hall. It has a variety of designer clothing, shoe, home ware, and gift stores. It is home to the famous Hamleys Toy Shop
. Next to Regent Street is Carnaby Street
, a more alternative shopping street with designer names. Between Regent Street and Carnaby Street is Liberty
, one of the most prestigious department stores in London.
is located at the top of Regent Street, just a 20-minute walk from Fischer Hall. Oxford Street is famous for its department stores, and large retail chains. Oxford Street leads to Bond Street
and Marble Arch, which offers more stores.
is a great shopping location for gifts, famous retailers, and designer names. There are three markets in Covent Garden selling jewelry, antiques, handicrafts, and more. Covent Garden is just a 10-minute walk from Fischer Hall and a 15-minute walk from Conway Hall.