Faculty / Staff Information
Traveling abroad requires careful planning, even for frequent travelers. When leading students overseas, even more preparation and organization is necessary. Different strategies and preventative measures must be taken depending on your destination. The outline below provides important travel tools and resources for your trip—both for planning and while abroad. Note: Du Lac applies around the world. Take a moment to review student expectations while traveling abroad.
More than 6 Weeks Prior to Travel:
- Review Preparing to Travel Abroad
- All benefit-eligible faculty and staff should review HR’s Benefits While Traveling Abroad page. This contains information on health insurance information.
6 Weeks Prior to Travel:
- Review "6 Weeks Prior to Travel" on Preparing to Travel Abroad
2-4 Weeks before Departure:
- Pre-departure discussion with the NDI Risk Management staff is available as we grow tools for faculty and staff guidance. We would welcome feedback for the formation of a faculty/staff international travel policy.
- Read and consider each item in the State Department's Traveler Checklist.
- STEP Registration: Enrollment in this program provides important, up-to-date U.S. Department of State information about your country of travel.
- Register with Travel Assist, a complimentary travel assistance program available to all faculty and staff undertaking Notre Dame-sponsored travel. Resources include security travel alerts for your trip, medical translation and drug equivalencies, customized health information, and country/city reports. On the sign-in page, click “Register Here” to create a username. Enter Notre Dame’s policy number (9113229) in the Policy Number box to register. AIG will email you your initial password.
- Faculty & Staff Emergency Card: Gathering important contact numbers before you leave campus is critical. Download the NDI Faculty & Staff Emergency Card and fill it out with the information that pertains to you.
- Travel Registry: Faculty and staff leading students on Notre Dame-sponsored international travel must have all undergraduates register or apply for travel. For assistance, please contact email@example.com.
- Faculty, staff, and graduate students are invited and encouraged to register their travel as well:
- AIG Emergency Services: When traveling on behalf of Notre Dame, emergency medical evacuation, repatriation of remains, and political and natural disaster evacuation is provided to you and immediate family members. Contact Risk Management & Safety with questions at 574-631-5037. For 24/7 emergency assistance, call AIG directly at 715-346-0859 (International Collect) or 1-877-244-6871 (U.S. Toll Free). Note: AIG is not the university’s health insurance provider. Please refer to your personal medical insurance provider. If you have health insurance issues or questions while abroad, please contact HR during U.S. business hours Monday-Friday 8am to 5pm by e-mail at askHR@nd.edu or by phone at 574-631-5900.