While ISSA's Roy Bronkema enjoys working with the international community by day, he’s also found himself in a similar role at night. The piano performance major recently served as the music director for South Bend Civic Theater’s performance of “In the Heights,” with music and lyrics by Lin-Manuel Miranda.
Employment with an International Organization
Employment authorization is only available to F-1 students who have been offered a position with a recognized international organization within the International Organization Immunities Act. A complete list of eligible organizations can be found online at http://www.ice.gov/sevis/f_1_employment.htm#_Toc102538562. Students should confirm that the position with the international organization qualifies for employment authorization and individual eligibility to obtain authorization. The student initiates his or her application by scheduling an appointment with ISSA to confirm eligibility and review required documents. The student completes the process by mailing their application to USCIS.
International Organization Eligibility Requirements and Application:
- The student must have a written offer of employment or certification from the qualifying international organization.
- The employment authorization may only be granted during the student’s academic program.
- The student must maintain full-time enrollment as required during the employment.
- The employment does not have to be directly related to the student’s major field of study.
- Work authorization is granted by USCIS in increments of no more than one year (renewable) or until the expected date of employment completion, whichever is shorter.
- The current application fee charged by USCIS is $380.00 USD and processing time is approximately 3 months.
Employment off campus may not begin until a student receives his/her EAD card and the start date on card has been reached.