Personal Safety

There are a number of resources both on. and off.campus to help you reduce your susceptibility to crime and injury, and to respond effectively in threatening or unsettling circumstances. Please keep emergency phone numbers for police, fire department, and legal assistance close at hand.

ISSA has several pamphlets in its office from community agencies that review safety issues and provide effective tips for securing your home and person against crime.

Notre Dame Security Police

The Notre Dame Security Police website offers a number of resources, including preventive strategies and tips for securing yourself and your valuables against crime, as well as important emergency numbers and contacts. There are also forms and procedures available online for reporting a crime and securing further assistance.

Reporting a Crime

There are emergency call stations located throughout campus for calling the Notre Dame Security Police. There are also phones at the main entrances of every residence hall and in the presbytery behind the Basilica. For immediate assistance when a crime is in progress, call 911. For follow.up after a crime has been committed or for a non.emergency, call the Notre Dame Security Police at 631.5555. Details of your report to the Notre Dame Security Police or city/county/state police are always confidential.


Call 911

Non-Emergency Phone Numbers

  • Notre Dame Secruity Police—574.631.5555
  • South Bend Police—574.235.9201
  • Mishawaka Police—574.258.1678
  • St Joseph County Police/Sheriff—574.235.9611
  • Indiana Highway Patrol—574.233.1123

You may make an anonymous report regarding a crime you have witnessed to the South Bend Police Department through the Crime Stoppers program at 574.288.STOP.

Please report all incidents of crime to Notre Dame Security Police, in addition to any other off-campus authority.

Sexual Assault

If you or someone you know is sexually assaulted, contact Notre Dame Security Police or the nearest police authority immediately. You should also seek medical attention and preserve all physical evidence. If you are on campus at the time of an assault and a student, you may seek assistance from the Notre Dame Security Police or University Health Services in arranging for transportation to St. Joseph Medical Center, which has specially trained staff and facilities for collecting evidence and offering immediate support and counsel.

If you are the spouse of a student or a seeking scholar, you may seek assistance through the Notre Dame Security Police or go directly to St. Joseph Medical Center. When off.campus, you should go directly to the St. Joseph Medical Center. Reporting a sexual assault to the police or seeking medical attention does not commit you to pursuing further legal or disciplinary action against an assailant. You will, however, be counseled as to your options.

Counseling and Support

Many people who have been victimized by a criminal act seek counseling and advice about how to recover a sense of a security and well.being. You will find several resources for students and spouses on.campus through the:

On-Campus Escort and Transportation After Dark

 SafebouND.  Call (574) 631-5555.

On-Campus Education and Prevention

Rape Defense TrainingGender Relations Center, 311 LaFortune

Domestic Violence

According to Indiana’s Clark County Prosecutor’s Office:

Domestic Violence is a violent confrontation between family or household members involving physical harm, sexual assault, or fear of physical harm. Family or household members include spouses/former spouses, those in (or formerly in) a dating relationship, adults related by blood or marriage, and those who have a biological or legal parent.child relationship.

Settling into a new academic, national and linguistic culture can create frustrations, tensions and misunderstandings that lead to violence. It is important to realize that in the United States, the expectation is that a couple or a family should openly come to terms with the problem of emotional or physical abuse and that the community should assist in providing care and counseling for those affected.

If you are in immediate danger, call 911. For more information information regarding domestic violence and support resources, please visit

In cases where you feel that you are subject to a pattern of abusive behavior, please seek guidance and support. The following agencies will assist you in locating the appropriate resources to address problems of domestic abuse for both victims and perpetrators.

On Campus

International Scholars and Research Assistants may seek services through the Employee Assistance Program at 631.5900.

Off Campus

You may also opt to seek support through Family Justice Center, St. Joseph County's family resource center. You may call 24 hours per day: 289.4357 (289.HELP)

Hate Crimes

Individuals who are singled out for abuse or violence exclusively on the basis of particular qualities or creeds, should be protected from harm by law.

The Indiana General Assembly passed bias crime reporting legislation that defines a bias crime as follows: "an offense in which the person who committed the offense knowingly or intentionally: (a) selected the person who was injured; or (b) damaged or otherwise affected property by the offense because of the color, creed, disability, national origin, race, religion, or sexual orientation of the injured person or of the owner or occupant of the affected property was associated with any other recognizable group or affiliation." (Section 1. IC; House Enrolled Act No. 1011, Effective July 1, 2000)

For more information about hate crimes, how to protect yourself, and how to respond, visit the Indiana Civil Rights Commission's website.

If you believe that you have been the target of such a crime, please report the incidence promptly to the Notre Dame Security Police Department at 631.5555, which will offer support and legal counsel.

Back to Top