Faculty-Led Study Abroad Program Proposal
Notre Dame faculty are invited to propose and plan a faculty-led credit-bearing overseas academic program with the assistance of NDI. The program should be 8 weeks or less with a maximum of two 3-credit courses. The focus of this proposal process is to help plan and implement selected and approved programs. Faculty who lead credit-bearing programs independent of NDI are strongly encouraged to consult with NDI for health and safety guidelines, and to consider services NDI can provide.
A faculty member who proposes a course that is cross-listed with another department is required to obtain the endorsement of both department chairs. Proposed courses should each carry a minimum of three credits requiring a minimum of 37.5 contact hours.
If the program proposal is approved, Notre Dame faculty teaching a course will receive a $10,000 honorarium for a 3-credit course. Other teaching arrangements will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Instructions for the Proposal Process
Applications will be reviewed and evaluated following a multi-step process which includes:
- Submission of a one-page abstract to email@example.com.
- If the abstract is approved, the applicant will be invited to submit a full proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A Study Abroad staff member will be designated to assist the applicant in securing information required for the full proposal, in accordance with the posted timeline. An NDI staff member and the faculty member will provide information as indicated in the full proposal.
- The full proposal will be vetted by members of NDI, including Gateway and Center colleagues and faculty, as relevant.
- If the proposed program is approved, the determined minimum student enrollment must be met.
- Notre Dame’s standard withdrawal policy will be adhered to for all non-academic year study abroad programs unless otherwise indicated.
- Safety and health review is ongoing to the date of departure and continues in country. Notre Dame reserves the right to cancel a program at any time due to safety and health issues.
For detailed instructions, please download the Faculty-Led Study Abroad Program Proposal.
Timeline for Faculty-Led Study Abroad Program Proposal Process
|Abstract Due||June 15th, the year prior to the proposed program’s launch|
|Abstract Approval||July 15th|
|Full Proposal Due||September 1st|
|Decision to Select/Deny
the Proposed Summer Program
The Naughton Fellowship program allows students with a background in, or aptitude for, STEM fields to experience international research and educational opportunities through a funded exchange program involving Notre Dame and some of Ireland’s leading research universities.