On May 1, 2017, the U.S. Department of State updated the Travel Alert for Europe with an expiration date of September 1, 2017. There are specific events noted on the alert which can be read on the State Department website. Although this updated alert will not impact Notre Dame programs currently underway or planned through September 1, 2017, all travelers should read the alert and be aware of the continued guidance from the State Department:
- Exercise vigilance when in public places or using mass transportation.
- Be aware of immediate surroundings and avoid crowded places.
- Follow the instructions of local authorities, especially in an emergency.
- Monitor media and local event information sources and factor updated information into your travel plans and activities.
- Be prepared for additional security screening and unexpected disruptions.
- Stay in touch with your family, have a plan if you are separated, and ensure they know how to reach you in the event of an emergency.
- Continue to register all international travel at the U.S. State Department's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program.
In recent years a European travel alert has appeared consistently around high peak travel times. NDI continues to rigorously monitor world events and urges all travelers abroad to take proactive safety measures and access the University’s resources for responding to disruptive or unsafe situations.