Looking for inspiring and transformative college experiences in the summer? Come and spend your summer with us to take credit-bearing courses while you immerse yourselves in cultural, co-curricular and extra-curricular activities!
Our International Summer Session (ISS) offers academically rigorous and innovative credit-bearing courses to visiting international students. In addition, the program is designed to immerse students into the Notre Dame community and facilitate intercultural learning among peers from around the globe. It aims to provide a truly unique and transformational study abroad experience for international students.
The ISS features two distinctive components - academic classes and cultural immersion programming.
The credit-bearing ISS curriculum covers the most trending academic disciplines and topics among global learners. All classes are taught by Notre Dame faculty and are held in our state-of-the-art classrooms and labs. Students can explore a new subject area or deepen the understanding of their current disciplines.
ISS courses are rigorous and carry a similar workload of semester-long courses. Students are expected to complete assignments, projects, and exams, and will be given an official grade and Notre Dame transcript upon completion. ISS students are required to comply with all rules and regulations pertaining to undergraduate students at ND, including the Academic Honor Code.
ISS incorporates a wide range of co-curricular and extra-curricular programming so students can make the most of their time at Notre Dame. These activities and programming will be either spread out throughout the program or take place during the last week depending on the length of the program.
Depending on the academic courses that students take, co-curricular activities may include one of the following:
- Business visit relevant to the course content.
- Social engagement opportunities through volunteering at a local non-profit organization.
- Understanding research through an in-depth tour of Notre Dame research facilities.
- A workshop on intercultural communication and/or global leadership.
A variety of cultural immersion activities will be offered, a sample of which includes the following:
- Program orientation with campus tours, including the Snite Museum, and the Basilica of the Sacred Heart.
- Experience American culture through visits and meals with local host families.
- Participate in on campus activities and meet with local Notre Dame students.
- Day trip to Chicago with visits to the Millennium Park, 360 Chicago Observation Deck, Water Tower Place, Magnificent Mile, and the Navy Pier.
- Day trip to Michigan City Premium Outlets and Warren Dunes State Park by Lake Michigan.
These programming provides space for students to develop profound friendships with each other, facilitates great team dynamics and cultural exchange, and deepens students’ intercultural understanding and learning.
2021 ISS Courses
Courses for the 2021 program will cover the following disciplines:
- Business Communication and Ethics
- Data Analytics and Operations
- Social Entrepreneurship
- Social Science and Humanities
More courses may be added. Please click the Learn More or Apply button below to see the full course descriptions.
Students in the 4-week session are required to enroll in 3 credit hours by either taking one 3-credit course or two 1.5-credit courses.
2021 Program Dates
The 2021 ISS program will be a 4-week session.
- Start/Arrival Date: Sunday, July 11, 2021
- End/Departure Date: Saturday, August 7, 2021
March 31, 2021
- International undergraduate students enrolled in a university overseas
- Sophomore or higher standing at home university
- Strong academic record, with a GPA of 3.0 recommended
- High level of English language proficiency (TOEFL 90+ /IELTS 7.0+ /DET 115+ preferred. The applicant may also be required to do a phone interview with the admission committee.)
- Students should possess exceptional motivation, emotional maturity, and a high aptitude for adapting to new environments
Life as an ISS Student
Information about dining, housing, and other aspects of the International Summer Session student experience can be found here.
Additional Program Information
Click below to learn more about course descriptions, program fees, application process, refund policy, frequently asked questions, and more.