The University of Notre Dame was founded in November 1842 by Edward F. Sorin, a priest of the Congregation of Holy Cross, a French missionary order. It is located adjacent to South Bend, Indiana, the center of a metropolitan area with a population of more than 300,000. Notre Dame has grown from the vision of Father Sorin, who sought to establish a great Catholic university in America, and has remained faithful to both its religious and intellectual traditions. One of America’s leading undergraduate teaching institutions, Notre Dame also has been at the forefront in research and scholarship.
Experience Notre Dame
- Attend classes taught by world-renowned professors
- Experience the unmatched sense of community on campus
- Participate in student activities in our state-of-the-art facilities
- Understand the religious and intellectual traditions that are unique to Notre Dame
- Cultivate your sense and responsibility to be a force for good
- Peer Mentoring Program -- Peer Mentors are a group of undergraduate, degree-seeking students at Notre Dame who serve as a resource and point of contact for new visiting international students. The Peer Mentoring Program is a great way to receive support for your transition to ND and adjustment to life on campus and in the United States. Learn more
- Chicago Trip and other Cultural Excursions -- During your time at Notre Dame, you will have the opportunity to visit the city of Chicago and its most famous landmarks, as well as visits to other local cultural sites.
- Community Service Opportunities -- To learn about the local culture and society, students are offered opportunities to engage with the local community through diverse service projects, such as visits to the local food bank or Center for the Homeless.
- Intercultural Communications Course -- As a unique course for exchange students, this is an exciting opportunity to discuss cultural patterns with other international students, examine your own personal experiences and background, and further develop cultural competency. The course titled Intercultural Communication and the American Campus is mandatory for all new exchange and visiting international students.
(according to Niche)
- #1 University in the US for Religious Studies
- #3 University in the US for Accounting and Finance
- #14 University in the US for Performing Arts
- #15 University in the US for Psychology
- #18 University in the US for Economics
- #18 University in the US for Philosophy
- #20 University in the US for Political Science
- #20 University in the US for Physics
“I fell in love with ND´s approach towards studying and life. ND manages to combine the pursuit of human excellence and of people in service of their community like no other place. ” - Ignacio, Spain
“I believe the friendship, knowledge and confidence I have gained at Notre Dame will continuously nurture me for life.” - Yam Ling, Hong Kong
“Being abroad at Notre Dame was an unforgettable experience where I built lifetime friendships, reinforced my faith, grew in the professional and academic scope, and of course as a person.” - Angela, Mexico
TOP 20 Consistently ranked in top 20 Universities in U.S.
1300+ International students from 90 countries
10:1 Faculty Student Ratio
250+ ND clubs domestic and abroad