International Summer Physics Institute
Program Dates: July 14 - July 28, 2018
Explore what is like to study physics in college or be a physicist! International Summer Physics Institute (iSPI) is a two-week introductory science program on the most cutting-edge science: particle physics. The program strengthens students’ existing knowledge of physics and supplements it with advanced knowledge to investigate questions in physics using particle physics data. For the experiments, students use real data from the Large Hadron Collider at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) laboratory in Switzerland. They assemble and test detectors in the laboratory to study cosmic rays and draw raw data from their particle physics experiments. Students also visit the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory (Fermilab) outside of Chicago.
In addition to taking class with Notre Dame faculty, students also enjoy a wide range of extracurricular opportunities that include:
- face-to-face Q&A sessions with Notre Dame’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions
- field trip to Chicago and visit Chicago’s most iconic attractions
- academic field trip lead by physics faculty to the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory (Fermilab)
- evening events: talent show, color run, scavenger hunt, ice-skating, etc.
- interaction and discussion with Notre Dame undergraduate students
- Gain an understanding of elements of the Standard Model and be able to explain physical phenomena on the smallest scales.
- Strengthen and use their pre-existing knowledge on physics, especially conservation laws, along with new knowledge they gain to investigate questions using real and current data.
- Solve problems by working in diverse teams and collaborating as particle physicists do everyday.
- Previous particle physics experience/knowledge not required.
- International high school students from all countries.
- Must be 15-year-old when attending the program.
- An outstanding academic transcript.
- High level of English language proficiency: TOEFL iBT 80+ or IELTS 6+ preferred. TOEFL iBT and IELTS can be waived if the language of instruction of applicant's current school is English. Other forms of English proficiency considered. Skype interviews might be conducted.
- Students should possess exceptional motivation, emotional maturity, and a high aptitude for adapting to new environments.
$3,800 for the 2-week program, which covers the following:
- two-week curriculum on particle physics
- housing in an on-campus dormitory
- three meals per day for the entire length of the programs
- welcome dinner and closing reception
- program-sponsored activities and trips
- medical insurance
- airport pickup/drop-off at Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD)
Application Deadline: May 15, 2018
Once you click Learn More/Apply below, you will be asked to create an account. A password reset email will then be sent to you. When logging into the application system, always click Non-ND NetID & Password login.
Once on the application page, click the application questionnaire to start your application.
Disclaimer: A minimum number of students is required to run this program. If this number is not reached, we reserve the right to cancel the program. However, the admitted students will have the option to join the iLED program instead.
Global Engagement Programs
Notre Dame International