YOU ARE THE PRIMARY COMMUNICATOR WITH YOUR loved ones. CONFIRM YOUR SAFETY WITH THEM if THERE IS A SIGNIFICANT EVENT IN YOUR location.
Before You Leave
- Know your communication plan. Establish your cell phone plan before you leave: you can choose wifi only, purchase an international plan through your service provider, or purchase a SIM card in-country.
- Fill out your emergency card. Download the emergency card. Print, copy, and share.
- Enter emergency numbers into your phone. Find the In-country 911 number, and add the 24/7 NDSP line, +1-574-631-5555.
Safety While Abroad
- If you're going to a location where we have a Global Gateway or Center, reach out to them and let them know you're there.
- Respond to all requests for safety confirmation.
- Check email regularly.
U.S. Department of State: STEP
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program. STEP is a free service that gives you area- relevant security information. Non-U.S. passport holders should leave the passport field blank when registering, and contact their home country’s government to learn about available additional support.
For immediate safety and security updates, subscribe to your country’s social media account.
Eduroam is a secure wireless network for students, researchers, and teachers when visiting an institution other than their own. Most universities abroad have Eduroam which you can access using your Notre Dame NetID and password.