All registered students, staff, and faculty in Mexico City and Puebla are confirmed safe after the earthquake on September 19. We are continuing to monitor events and will post updates here as we receive new information.
First, Follow Timeline on the Preparing to Travel Abroad page
After Travel Approval (approximately 2-5 weeks before departure):
- Complete all post-decision requirements in the Notre Dame Travel Registry. Indicate commit/decline to travel once 100% certain. Remember to consider receipt of funding, IRB approval, and current and expected changes in safety considerations.
- In partnership with your sponsoring organization, clarify preparation expectations and attend a pre-departure orientation. NDI hosts two Student Safety Summits, which may fulfill this pre-departure orientation requirement.
- Develop and confirm your travel and housing plan once you have approval from your sponsoring organization.
- Student Checklist: Prepare for your travel by reading this essential checklist for students.
- Student Medical and Emergency Card: Gathering important contact numbers before you leave campus is critical. Download the NDI Medical and Emergency Card and fill it out with the information that pertains to you.
- Insuring Personal Belongings: You may want to consider insurance coverage for your personal belongings. Homeowner’s insurance may not extend coverage for personal belongings while abroad, or impose limitations, restrictions or high deductibles on the amount of coverage provided. Gallagher & Allianz offers a low cost student Personal Property insurance policy with coverage at replacement cost for personal property owned by or is entrusted to the student by a parent or guardian. A Student Personal Property Protection Plus brochure is available through the Risk Management and Safety Department by calling (547) 631-5037
- Emergency Contacts by Country: Learn the 911 equivalent in your country of travel.