|PLEASE NOTE: While international travel, in support of the Asia Research Collaboration Grant research, is generally an appropriate budgetary expense, this current call for proposals will cover expenses other than travel.|
Deadline to submit a Summer 2021 proposal is June 30, 2021
Through the generous support of University benefactors, Notre Dame International provides funding to build, sustain, and encourage academic and research collaboration (research projects, faculty and graduate student exchange, conferences, seminars, etc.) with universities in Asia. Funding is allocated for proposals that involve research collaborations with universities in China, Hong Kong SAR, India, Japan and Taiwan. Proposals for collaborations with universities in other parts of Asia are also accepted and encouraged.
- Notre Dame physicists see nuclear wobbling in one isotope of gold
- Notre Dame International announces the 2018-2019 faculty research grants
Full-time regular members of the Notre Dame faculty, library faculty, and special professional faculty are eligible to apply. Notre Dame staff members leading programs relevant to the goals of increasing collaboration with institutions in mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong and India may also submit a proposal.
With the COVID-19 pandemic and severely curtailed in-person interactions, current University policies restrict travel. Researchers have been imaginative and resourceful in continuing their international work wherever possible.
This call for proposals for Summer 2021 will focus on supporting and advancing collaborative international research in ways other than those that involve international travel.
Funding is available for a variety of collaborative opportunities but preference will be given to those that promote ongoing relationships between Notre Dame and institutions in Asia and will have a measurable impact on the local academic community or in increasing Notre Dame’s engagement in the region. The types of collaborations might include but are not limited to the following:
- Digitization of materials located at international locations which are central to a research project
- Projects for which field work can be conducted virtually (e.g., interviews, surveys, on-line collection of data)
- A virtual conference with modest honoraria for participating researchers/scholars
- A partial stipend for a Notre Dame graduate research assistant involved in the faculty’s new collaborative international research and writing in ways that contribute to the student’s intellectual formation
Individual grants will not exceed $10,000. Applicants are encouraged to demonstrate other sources of funding or cost sharing which will complement the Asia Research Collaboration Grant funding. Other sources of funding may include funds dedicated to the proposed research collaboration by the international collaborators’ universities. Cost sharing must ensure that covered expenses are mutually exclusive.
Awards will not support clerical or secretarial help. The hiring of research assistants employed by and working at Asian universities will generally not be funded through the Notre Dame grant program.
To request funding from the Asia Research Collaboration Grants program, please submit a proposal in one document. As the proposal will be reviewed by a faculty committee from multiple disciplinary backgrounds, please write in clear, non-technical language and submit to Notre Dame International's submissions manager. Each proposal must include the following items:
- Proposal Title
- Project Team including International Partners: Project director (PD) name, department/center/institute affiliation and email. For international collaborator(s) include international institution(s), departmental/institutional affiliation (s) and email address(es)
- Abstract of the proposed project (one paragraph)
Description of the proposed project (2 -page maximum, single spaced), including:
- The objective of the project
- Background, previous work and/or motivation as appropriate
- Methodology (if relevant)
- Outcomes e.g., how the project will promote collaboration between Notre Dame and institutions in Asia, publications
- Anticipated time schedule
- Budget (using template)
- Letter from Collaborator in Asia indicating their willingness to be involved in the project
The multi-disciplinary faculty committee will review proposals under the following criteria:
- The potential for developing or strengthening research relationships with academic institutions in Asia
- Potential for publication
- Potential for further support from external sources
- Overall quality of the proposal
- Budgetary appropriateness
Successful applicants are required to:
- Submit a final report no later than one month after the end date of the award. The report should include:
- A summary of the activities funded by the award and significant results achieved, including evidence that the project contributed to the collaboration between Notre Dame and Asia
- Any publications or manuscripts resulting from the award
- Submit brief updates (and pictures, if applicable) of any development related to the grant funding that is newsworthy (e.g. conference, launch of new program), including any relevant feedback from collaborators in greater Asia
- Reference the Notre Dame International Asia Research Collaboration in any relevant publications
For more information about NDI’s faculty engagement and research programs, please contact:
Director of Faculty Engagement
Notre Dame International
Phone: 574 631-7742
For more information about NDI’s relationship with universities in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and India, please contact:
Senior Assistant Provost for Internationalization
Notre Dame International