Travel & Safety
As you travel to new places with Notre Dame International, we want to make sure you’re prepared and confident as you explore further. From pre-departure training, to travel registrations, to 24/7 crisis support, our team will ensure you have a plan to tackle the most common challenges you may face abroad.
Faculty/Staff Travel Registration Requirement
Effective July 1, 2022, all faculty, staff, and graduate students traveling abroad on University-related travel must register their travel in advance, with Notre Dame International. LEARN MORE
Notre Dame International is committed to internationalization and engaged in a variety of international initiatives and activities including but not limited to research, engagement, study abroad, service, and recruitment. In facilitating and expanding Notre Dame’s international engagement and presence, there is a recognition that these enriching experiences come with risks.
NDI Travel and Safety supports the health, safety, and security of all Notre Dame international travelers by:
- enabling safe and responsible international travel
- mitigating risks to Notre Dame and individuals traveling
- responding to emergencies abroad
Who We Are
NDI employs a full-time international travel and safety professional dedicated to overseeing international health and safety concerns, and responding to emergencies abroad involving students, faculty or staff.
What We Do
NDI Travel and Safety supports the safety of students, faculty and staff traveling internationally by:
- Promoting a robust travel risk management program
- Monitoring the world for incidents and events that have the potential to impact Notre Dame
- Providing global intelligence analysis and best-in-class travel health, safety and security practices for making well-informed decisions while abroad
- Developing and implementing policies related to international travel
- Managing the NDI Travel Registry process
- Hosting pre-travel orientations, trip leader training and other specialized training sessions
- Maintaining the Travel Safety 101 course
- Chairing the Travel Review Committee
- Conducting risk assessments for study abroad program locations and high risk travel
- Managing the International SOS 24/7 emergency assistance and communication programs
- Coordinating international health insurance and political unrest/natural disaster evacuation insurance
- Planning for all types of international emergencies, including crisis management protocols
- Leading international crisis response
Who We Work With
As part of NDI, International Travel and Safety works closely with Study Abroad, Global Gateways and Centers, and International Students and Scholars Affairs, in addition to University Health Services, Student Affairs, Campus Safety, Emergency Management, Insurance and Risk Management, Human Resources, Office of General Counsel, and University colleges and departments to prevent or minimize the impact of risks to Notre Dame students and employees traveling internationally.
As part of our commitment to supporting international travel and facilitating collaboration across the University, NDI Travel and Safety also coordinates and leads the following working groups:
NDI Travel and Safety Working Group
Comprised of representatives across divisions, colleges and departments, the NDI Travel and Safety Working Group is a University-wide forum for those that enable and support international travel at Notre Dame at a variety of different levels. The group meets at least twice annually to discuss Notre Dame’s international travel topics and address future needs and improvements. Any employee can join, so please contact email@example.com if you would like to be added to our email distribution list.
Travel Review Committees
The Travel Review Committees administer the University’s International Travel Policy. They are charged with evaluating the health, safety and security of newly proposed and already existing Notre Dame-related international travel in order to assess whether travel risks can be sufficiently mitigated for travelers and the University.
To learn more about the Travel Review Committees, please visit High Risk Travel.
International Emergency Management Team
Led by International Travel and Safety, the International Emergency Management Team (IEMT) is an essential part of the University’s emergency management response plan. The group is comprised of representatives from NDI’s Global Network, every college, certain departments with significant international activity, and on-campus emergency management. While the group at large meets annually for trainings and review, the IEMT Core convenes several more times throughout the year to review individual incidents and global events affecting the safety and security of Notre Dame’s travelers. Selected IEMT members can log in to the International SOS TravelTracker platform to review University registered travel and communicate directly with travelers in emergencies.
Notre Dame International
105 Main Building
Notre Dame, IN 46556
In an Emergency
Notre Dame Police Department: +1-574-631-5555